How to connect to a work computer from inside your home
“My boss announced yesterday that we can choose one day for each work to work from home. This is very exciting. I want to know how I can connect to my work computer from home so that I don’t need to take anything home with me? Specifically, I would like to have access to a program Accounting on my work computer, transferring files between computers, etc.”
How to connect to a work computer from home [two options]
Here in this section, we will provide two options on how to connect to a work computer from home which also allows you to transfer files between computers . By the way, the steps on how to connect to a computer at home from work are pretty much the same.
Method 1. Easily connect to work computer from home via AnyViewer
The first option is to connect to a work computer from home using the free remote desktop program AnyViewer. It has the following advantages:
- compatibility . It supports multiple Windows systems , from Windows 7 to the latest version of Windows 11. It also supports iOS devices, and you can also remotely access your work computer from your iPhone or iPad.
- comfort . You can make unattended remote connections to your work computer from home with a single click.
- Security . It is secured by Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC), which protects your data from leaking during remote sessions.
- Fast and stable connection . It was created by a skilled technical team and offers you a fast and reliable remote connection with excellent picture quality.
Step 1 Download, install and launch AnyViewer on your home and work computer. On a PC, go to Sign In , then click Sign Up . (If you have already registered on their official website, you can log in directly.)
The second step . Fill in the registration information.
Step 3 . Then you can see that you have successfully logged in to AnyViewer. Your device will automatically be assigned to the account you’re signed in to.
Step 4 . Log into the same AnyViewer account on both devices, then you can achieve direct connection by clicking Remote control for unattended remote access.
The fifth step . After connecting successfully, you will see Remote Desktop. Then you can control it just as if you were sitting in front of it. To improve your work efficiency, you can also take full advantage of the functionality that AnyViewer offers you. Click Files on the toolbar.
Step 6 . A file transfer dialog will appear. You can transfer files between devices freely by clicking the arrows after selecting the target files.
Note: You can also upgrade your account to a Professional or Enterprise plan . What the Career Plan or Enterprise Plan can do for you:
- File transfer speed is faster. The transfer speed for the free account is 500 KB / sec, and for the paid account it is up to 10 MB / sec.
- More devices can be assigned to the same account for unattended remote access.
- Connect in privacy mode to protect privacy, which means the console can black out the screen of the remote computer and disable keyboard and mouse click remotely.
Way 2. Remote to work computer from home via remote desktop connection
Another option is to use Windows’ built-in Remote Desktop Connection to connect to your work computer from home. The procedure is divided into four parts: enabling remote connections on the work computer, specifying the IP address and PC name of the work computer, configuring port forwarding on the work computer, and finally connecting to the remote work computer from the home computer.
- RDP is only included in certain editions of Windows, such as the Pro, Business, or Ultimate edition. Windows 7 Starter Edition, Windows 7 Home Edition, Windows 8 Home Edition, Windows 8.1 Home Edition, and Windows 10 Home Edition do not support remote desktops.
- If the two computers are under different networks, the technical challenge of using RDP will increase because port forwarding or VPN is required across different networks.
Part 1. Enable remote connections on a work computer
Step 1. Press Win + R to open Run box , type “ sysdm.cpl ” and hit Enter key .
Step 2. Select the Remote tab and make sure that the “ Allow remote connections to this computer ” option is checked.
Part 2. Determine the IP address and PC name of the work computer
Step 1 Open the Run dialog box . Type “ cmd ” and hit Enter .
The second step . Then type “ ipconfig ” and hit Enter. Now you can see a bunch of IP addresses, of which the IPv4 address is the one you need.
Step 3 . Then type ” user query ” to find out the computer name.
Part 3. Configure port forwarding on the work computer
Step 1 Open Chrome browser, and enter “ what is my IP ” in the search box, after that you can see the public IP address.
The second step . Open a web browser. Then type your router’s IP address into the address bar. A privacy warning will appear. Just click on Advanced > Continue to continue.
Step 3 . Next, enter the username and password for your router in the box. Click Sign in .
Step 4 . Click Port Forwarding / Port Triggering in the left pane. Create a new port forwarding rule and click Add , and choose Add custom service .
The fifth step . Enter a name for your device in the Port Forwarding interface, and enter the port you want to forward in the Port field (if you are not sure what protocol to use, please select TCP/UDP or both under Service type). Then enter the IP address (IPv4 address) of the device you want to forward and click Apply to save changes.
Part 4. Remotely connect to a work computer from a home computer
Step 1 On your home computer, search for Remote Desktop Connection in the search box. Then open it.
The second step . Enter the public IP address we found above and the username in the Remote Desktop Connection interface to achieve the connection.